Friday, September 27, 2013

The Pain of Internet Job Searching


So I suppose we have all been there, but I have to be honest, this whole job hunt thing today is a huge hassle!  You have to weed through hundreds or thousands of jobs that are a complete waste, just to get referred to a website where you have to fill out an online application that takes you 30-60 minutes and before you know it, you have sold your first born.  Some of these applications are just intrusive.  The other day, I filled one out that requested my references up front, AND I had to complete a complete background check application before I could submit and apply.  Now, why exactly is it that you need my permission to run a background check, ssn, addresses for the last ten years, and everything else, before you have even seen my resume.  Does that seem excessive to anyone else? 

Now I do have to admit, I remember once upon a time when you had to actually go business to business and fill out applications, or mail hundreds of resumes, so I am appreciative of the new ease of online job hunting.  But as an HR professional, I think we need to take a step back and ask what we really need/want to see from applicants.  When I am doing the initial screening, I want to look at the resume and check that they have completed the application, and that it matches what is on the resume.  I don't need a duplicate.  Give me a list of your employment history with dates and salary history.  That and a resume is all I need during an initial screening.  Why do we insist on getting all of this information upfront?  Does anyone even look at it?  Interested to hear other HR/Recruiting perspectives...

No comments:

Post a Comment