Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Navigating WIA in Chicago



This is my second time attempting to get the WIA Grant in Chicago since 2009.  The process is in no way easy.  But in all reality it shouldn't be.  There is only so much money that can be used, and don't you think those with the most dedication and success potential should be the ones that get it?  I do.  So despite the fact that the hoops to jump through may seem a bit tedious and redundant, they are there for a reason, and it is a good one. 

The process begins with contacting the closest WIA service provider.  This is not as easy as it sounds.  If you click on this link it will bring you to the IL workNet site that you can use to find the closest office to you.  There are workNet centers and satellite providers listed, and really, this is just a starting point.  Pick the closest workNet center, and then the four closest satellite offices and get your dialing finger ready.

Now it is time to do the research old school.  Call the workNet center and ask them about their waiting list.  It is my experience that the person answering the phone does not often have the correct information, so if at all possible see if you can charm you way past the gatekeepers to the person who teaches the orientation.  Ask them how quickly people that attend the orientation are being assigned to career managers.  Then ask them what the procedure is step by step from orientation to getting your voucher.  This will give you an idea of how long the process is going to take and from what I can tell it changes from week to week.

Repeat your questions with the four satellite offices and that will give you an idea of where to go.  I choose to go with the Northside IL workNet center, on the 4700 block of Sheridan.  This is also a DHS office so be prepared.  I attended my orientation on Monday, 1/30.  I got there at 8:30 and by 9 AM when the class was supposed to start there were probably 70 people in the waiting room.  I am not sure how many they took for the class, but I know it was very crowded and they tried not to turn anyone away.  Bottom line is, if you are going on a walk in basis, get there 1/2 hour early.  Remember, this is an investment in you.  It may not be a pleasant one, but the pay off is up to an $8000 grant, so stop complaining about the process, they can't just give it to everyone.

Once you have done your orientation you will have a bit more of an idea of what comes next, but at least at my center, I was required to attend three workshops.  This is the workshop I attended on resume writing, and the other day I attended one on 'once you have a job.' No, I didn't really get anything out of these workshops.  But again, it is a few hours out of your life.  We are all busy.  Yes, my time would have been better spent networking, job hunting or even blogging, but the pay off is well worth it.  Go to the workshops, keep an open mind, and even if you don't get anything out of it, maybe you can help someone else. 

As I continue through this process I will continue to blog about it.  For now, my workshops are complete, and I am waiting to be assigned a career manager and intake appointment.  I will keep you all posted.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment